· According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, here is the growth expected through 2018.
· Skincare (Esthetics) 51%
· Cosmetologists 31%
· Nail Technicians 24%
· Massage Therapists 20%
· The Economic Research Institute states, “By 2015, a full-time cosmetologist is expected to earn $44,729.00”.
· The salon and spa industry has an annual sales of nearly $40 billion dollars.
· The Wall Street Journal has called the cosmetology industry recession proof as these jobs do not move out of the country. “You can’t send people to China or India for a haircut.”
· US Department of Labor reports the median pay for a massage therapist is $34,900.00. Pennsylvania reports the median income at $45,450.00.
· Hairdressers reported making 42% of their Gross Income from tips…this supplemented a base salary that averaged $13.95/hour. This means, that on average, hairdressers in the survey made around $24.00/hour or $48,000.00/year.
· Estheticians reported an average base of $15/hour with an additional 22% in tips or an average of approximately $19.00/hour or $39,000.00/year.
US Department of Labor
Pennsylvania Department of Labor
National Association of Career Arts and Sciences